Re: problem with dpkg-reconfigure and noninteractive frontend

(on|am|le) Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:44:35 +1000, Andrew Pollock <debian-lists-2004@andrew.net.au> (said|sagte|disait):

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:44:41PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > rc wrote:
> > > I've inspected the source and found a completely unconditional:
> > >  35 if (lc Debconf::Config->frontend eq 'noninteractive') {
> > >  36         Debconf::Config->frontend('dialog');
> > >  37 }
> >
> > The reason this is done is so users who have the default debconf
> > frontend set to noninteractive can use dpkg-reconfigure and have it do
> > something useful. See bug #57614.
> >
> > I don't see the use of running dpkg-reconfigure with the noninteractive
> > frontend. What are you trying to do?
>
> I understand the above scenario to handle the case where the default
> frontend is non-interactive as opposed to dpkg-reconfigure being called with
> -fnoninteractive. I certainly have made a lot of use of the latter when
> using FAI, and used debconf-communicate to non-interactively configure
> packages installed by FAI.
>
> Not sure if this is contrary to  your "Debconf is not a registry" views...
>
> Andrew

This is exactly my case. After FAI installation, i would like to reconfigure some
packages, and i thought that i could just edit the debconf database and the do
a dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive. Am I on the right track, or is there a
better way to do something like this?

I've seen your FAI faq-o-matic where you say:

<faq>
There are a number of ways, probably the most "Debian way" of doing it would be
something like this:

 echo "set passwd/md5 true" | debconf-communicate
 dpkg-reconfigure -f noninteractive passwd

in a class specific script in $FAI_CONFIGDIR/scripts
"
</faq>

I would like this approach, especially because there may be a lot more packages to
reconfigure than only to passwd. But the current dpkg-reconfigure doesn't seem to
allow this any more.

--
christian ramseyer
rc@networkz.ch