Re: problem with dpkg-reconfigure and noninteractive frontend

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 08:44:41PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> rc wrote:
> > I've inspected the source and found a completely unconditional:
> >  35 if (lc Debconf::Config->frontend eq 'noninteractive') {
> >  36         Debconf::Config->frontend('dialog');
> >  37 }
>
> The reason this is done is so users who have the default debconf
> frontend set to noninteractive can use dpkg-reconfigure and have it do
> something useful. See bug #57614.
>
> I don't see the use of running dpkg-reconfigure with the noninteractive
> frontend. What are you trying to do?

I understand the above scenario to handle the case where the default
frontend is non-interactive as opposed to dpkg-reconfigure being called with
-fnoninteractive. I certainly have made a lot of use of the latter when
using FAI, and used debconf-communicate to non-interactively configure
packages installed by FAI.

Not sure if this is contrary to  your "Debconf is not a registry" views...

Andrew