Re: Purge of firmware to recommence

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 03:55:32PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 11:43:49AM -0400, sean finney wrote:
> > i believe someone said they were working on this, and then herbert said at a
> > later point that he would no longer accept patches unless they came from
> > upstream.  perhaps i'm mistaken or this has changed?
>
> The patches should be passed via upstream, or at least tested: we don't
> want to distribute buggy drivers, either.

Well, the patches should certainly be *submitted* upstream and tested
well before we release, but mandating that they'd be *integrated*
upstream first seems a bit unreasonable to me, given how long that might
take. I don't say you really meant that, I would just like to have some
clarification here.

If we got the chance to remove firmware from the kernel without
affecting our users too much, we should go that road even if upstream
might think otherwise (you quoted Linus saying this was 'stupid' or
something yourself). As the changes seem to be restricted to specific
drivers and do not touch core components of the kernel, I think we can
safely allow our kernel to diverge from the one at kernel.org a bit.

Of course, this should not effect our kernel maintainer too much, i.e.
others should send the patches and test things, but I'd expect him to
integrate those patches to make sarge the best release possible.

Mihael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer