Re: Purge of firmware to recommence

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:07:58AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Herbert Xu wrote:
> > In accordance with the latest directive from the RM, I shall recommence
> > the removal of non-free firmware where no acceptable solution using
> > user-space firmware loaders has been provided.
>
> Is anyone planning on doing work on writing patches to use the request
> firmware stuff to move the firmware to userspace?

i believe someone said they were working on this, and then herbert said at a
later point that he would no longer accept patches unless they came from
upstream.  perhaps i'm mistaken or this has changed?

also, along these lines, i think if we're taking this out of the
kernel for sarge, it would be very considerate for us to provide the
following:

	- a list of hardware that uses said firmware
	- the appropriate load_firmware hooks as discussed
	- a non-free driver disk with said firmware
	- a d-i hook to "load firmware from non-free driver disk" at
	  bootup

	sean