Re: SSH file transfer doesn't handle filenames with blanks

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 01:34:00PM +0200, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> To my great amazement, scp refused to copy filenames with blanks or
> worse characters (like an ampersand '&') in it.  Is that a bug in SSH?

http://www.openssh.org/faq.html#2.10 says:

  2.10 - Will you add [foo] to scp?

  Short Answer: no.

  Long Answer: scp is not standardized. The closest thing it has to a
  specification is "what rcp does". Since the same command is used on
  both ends of the connection, adding features or options risks breaking
  interoperability with other implementations.

  New features are more likely in sftp, since the protocol is
  standardized (well, a draft standard), and the client and server are
  decoupled.

In other words: yes, it's a bug, yes, similar issues have already been
raised, no, don't bother filing it since there's nothing that can be
done about it. Sorry.