Re: Full Debian install impressions and facts

On 18.IV.2004 at 13:27 (-0500) Branden Robinson wrote:

> The main challenge here, as I understand it, is that d-i basically uses
> console-data's paradigm for keyboard description.  So what we need is a
> gigantic mapping table in xserver-xfree86.config to translate
> console-data keyboard descriptions into XKB
> Rules/Model/Layout(/Variant?) tuples.

The package console-cyrillic does the oposite for the Cyrillic
languages.  This package is simply an inteligent wrapper arount
`consolechars' and `loadkeys'.  It provides the Linux console with
flexible keyboard configuration similar to what xkb provides to X
Window.

It is possible to extend the functionality of console-cyrillic to
cover non-Cyrillic languages, but this would require manual conversion
of the files in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols to another format.

Anton Zinoviev