Re: more evil firmwares found

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 09:12:31PM -0400, Evan Prodromou wrote:

>     DA> Yes, and we've pretty much rejected it. While they might
>     DA> actually use ASM, I've yet to run into someone who regularly
>     DA> codes (and modifies their code) in machine language.
>
> That may be because you don't write firmware for embedded systems.

Do you?  And if so, do you regularly hand-hack opcodes?  I've never done it,
and my degree is in Computer Engineering, with a fair emphasis on embedded
systems development.  I've coded for a tiny development board in 80C196KC
assembly language and C, and I've seen embedded code written in Java (Ugh!)
and BASIC (Ugh**2), but I have never seen anyone attempt to do any serious
development with nothing but a hex editor.  Yes, we all knew the general
idea, but it was never posited as a serious development method.

- Matt