Re: firmware is just data. we need to decide our rules for data.

Wouter Verhelst writes:
> Yes, but that does in no way mean "it is free".

I think it may be reasonable to distinguish between "Someone has the source
but won't let us have it" and "The source no longer exists".

> Yes, but that does in no way mean "it is free". If there would be a law
> that would say you're not allowed travel outside the city where you live,
> then moving from one edge to the city to the other is as free as you can
> get, but that wouldn't mean you would be free to move around, would it?

No, but what if your city is on an island and you are restricted to moving
from one edge to the other by your lack of a boat?

> We have a clear definition of what "Free Software" means to us; it's
> called the "DFSG". Let's not abandon that important definition for the
> practical annoyance of the day, no matter how much troubles it causes us.

Let's also not lose track of the fact that our primary concern is with
deliberate efforts to prevent modification.

--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)