Re: firmware is just data. we need to decide our rules for data.

Scripsit John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org>

> I think it may be reasonable to distinguish between "Someone has the source
> but won't let us have it" and "The source no longer exists".

How about "Somebody had the source but he intentionally destroyed it
because he'd heard that we would then consider the binary free"?

> Let's also not lose track of the fact that our primary concern is with
> deliberate efforts to prevent modification.

You've got that one backwards. Our concern is whith the user's right
and ability to inspect and modify. Whether or not the author is evil
is not our concern.

--
Henning Makholm        "Jeg køber intet af Sulla, og selv om uordenen griber
                    planmæssigt om sig, så er vi endnu ikke nået dertil hvor