Re: native packages

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 09:30:39PM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt wrote:
> What if an upstream author who is a Debian developer includes a fully
> working debian/ directory along with, say, an rpm .spec file, in the
> main sources so that extracting the sources and running
> dpkg-buildpackage is all that is required for this person to build the
> package?  Would a .diff.gz be required in that case?  I would argue
> that it would not (since there's nothing to diff)

Are you doing an upstream release just because some Debian requirement
changed? That would be required then.

You can still package a .orig.tar.gz containing everything but the
debian dir, and put the debian dir in the diff. That way, you can make
packaging changes without doing an upstream release. What would
non-Debian users of that package think when you release a new version,
with in the changelog only fixes for Debian packaging, no changes to the
program itself? What would Debian think if you made a new release,
because you need to fix the .rpm spec file, but there was no change
whatsoever relevant to Debian?

Of course, nothing against maintaining the debian dir together with
upstream in your version control system, but still packaging as orig +
diff makes sense.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar