Re: native packages

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 08:32:10PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > but maybe someone else could be so kindly and code it.
>
> The first step would be to muster a consensus that it is indeed always
> wrong to have no .diff.gz for a package with an upstream author
> outside Debian. I'm not quite sure such a consensus exists today.

Well as far as I remember Mentors on debian-mentors always ask people to
make non-native packages. In fact that should be probably default
behaviour. There is no reason to build native packages except
situations where program is really Debian specific.

Yeah, I know that sometimes DD's contributes to external projects, but
from my experience having upstream debian/* subdirectory often makes
more trouble than advantages. Sometimes upstream authors release new
version, and debian/* is outdated. Then I have to create diff.gz even
so.

My conclusion is that if non-native packages should be default ones,
then why don't we provide some warnings if someone made native packages
by mistake?

That won't hurt to do `touch debian/native` for natives, but it hurts
when someone won't notice that he made native by mistake.

regards
fEnIo

--
      _      Bartosz Feński | mailto:fenio@o2.pl | pgp:0x13fefc40 | IRC:fEnIo
    _|_|_     32-050 Skawina - Głowackiego 3/15 - w. małopolskie - Polska