Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:44:17 +0200
Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 02:05:48PM +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:46:03 +1000
> > Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > > "North Holland" (Noord Holland) and "South Holland" (Zuid Holland)
> > > are two provinces of the Netherlands, the people in those
> > > provinces tend to not mind the entire country being mis-named,
> > > while people who live in other provinces are more interested in
> > > correcting it.
> > >
> > > Below is a URL containing a map of the provinces of the
> > > Netherlands, it was the first result that google returned...
> > >
> > > http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/General/Provinces.html
> >
> > The first that turned up when googling for 'Netherlands province',
> > hey? Well that reinforces that other well known misconception about
> > Holland, it's all about marijuana and mushrooms ;)
>
> Ahum, s/Holland/the Netherlands/

> --Jeroen, Utrecht, the Netherlands
> Who prefers that Dutch people call the country by its true name (be it
> translated to English)

Me too actually, the use above was on purpose ...

I also never got used to 'dutch', but there we can't blame the English.
It seems we used too call ourselves that too, albeit along time ago.
But some people try to change it; did you know that our coastguard
calls itself 'the Netherlands coastguard'?

grts Tim