Re: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 07:46:03PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:

> Nederland means "low land".  The Slovak term for "low land" would be another
> possible name for the country.

And indeed, the term "Nizozemsko" was archaic name for
Holland/Netherlands in the Slovak language some time (a century) ago,
but is ot used anymore.

> >    I am sure that is not the only example where the name of the country
> > is confused or country has completely different names in different
> > languages.

Yes, recently I watchedi/instructed some Debian/linux-newbies
installing debian.
Many times they chose Slovenian language instead of Slovak
(Slovenščina instead of Slovenčina in the menu, they scrolled it
down to Slovenščina, did not notice the slight difference and did not
bother to scroll it down more, assuming they arrived to the Slovak
language version) and then wondered what is wrong....

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |