Re: Problem: 2.6.x and network (e1000 Intel 82546EB)

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> yes, see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=203718
>
> problem is that nameif is provided by net-tools and
> /etc/init.d/networking is in netbase, but I try to coordinate this.

Hrm. Is there any particular reason why netbase can't suggest or
recommend net-tools and just call nameif if it is appropriate?

While I understand some of the problems of one tool calling a program
packaged in another tool in its initscript, it seems kind of pointless
to have a separate init script just to handle this relatively optional
behavior, when it can so easily be handled in the least astonishing[1]
init script, /etc/init.d/networking.

Marco: As you reassigned this bug, any specific problems with calling
it from /etc/init.d/networking beyond the fact that nameif exists
elsewhere?

Don Armstrong

1: At least, I think it's the least astonishing...
--
She was alot like starbucks.
IE, generic and expensive.

http://www.donarmstrong.com