Re: hotplugging /e/n/i "auto" interfaces

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 15:06, J.D. Hood wrote:

> > Actually, I filed a bug report months ago against hotplug which required
> > exactly that feature, because at that time hotplugg'ed each interface in
> > /e/n/i, which was very annoying, and I thought this is the only
> > solution.
>
> The solution that was implemented was for hotplug to call "ifup eth0=hotplug".

Yes, it is. But it is not really satifactory.

> > I would not remove it now, because it does not hurt (at least IIRC
> > /etc/init.d/networking will not cause too much trouble if it cannot up
> > an iface that is not available).
>
> I think it does hurt to implement a feature that is based on a
> misconception.  It reinforces the misconception.
>

> > > The interfaces brought up by S40networking obviously don't also need
> > > to be brought up by S40hotplug.
> >
> > You will get an error, but it does not hurt much. Haven't tested it, but
> > that's what I suspect.
>
> When hotplug is configured in "hotplug-auto-interfaces" mode, hotplug
> won't ever bring up any interfaces that wouldn't have been brought up
> by S40networking anyway.  Thus, this mode could also be called
> "do-nothing-but-produce-error-messages" mode.

I do not understand: what about devices plugged in _after_ boot? This is
what hotplug is for, right? Now _I_ am confused...

> > If it causes not too much trouble it can be left there.
>
> But why leave it there?  It is useless and it was only introduced a
> couple of days ago.

Well, we are discussing if it's useless or not.

See, I do not like hotplug using 'auto' as well, and the ifup
eth0=hotplug solution has less disadvatanges. But none of these are
really nice.

Greetings,
Oliver