Re: hotplugging /e/n/i "auto" interfaces

 --- Oliver Kurth <okurth@gmx.net> wrote:
> > When hotplug is configured in "hotplug-auto-interfaces" mode, hotplug
> > won't ever bring up any interfaces that wouldn't have been brought up
> > by S40networking anyway.  Thus, this mode could also be called
> > "do-nothing-but-produce-error-messages" mode.
>
> I do not understand: what about devices plugged in _after_ boot? This is
> what hotplug is for, right? Now _I_ am confused...

What I failed to realize is that people really do intend to change the
semantics of "auto" so that the admin lists as "auto" those interfaces
to bring up at boot _and_ when hotplugged.  S40networking still does its
"ifup -a" at boot, but now we can expect that not all of the listed
interfaces are brought up then (because some of them aren't installed yet)
and that some interfaces will be brought up twice.  The argument is
that neither of these things does any harm.

Thanks to the respondents -- I now see where you are going with this.

--
Thomas