Re: Making packages of php pear modules

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 04:41:47PM +1000, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> Sorry 'bout the slow response, just going through back-mail...
>
> On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 06:38, Ian Eure wrote:
> > > I started to think about making the huge number of php pear modules
> > > available for debian. After looking at one which I will need myself
> > > real soon, it appears not to be very difficult.
> > I don't believe that there are any individual PEAR packages in Debian, aside
> > from php4-pear.
>
> php4-apd
>
> I was also thinking about packaging phpdocumentor because it's required
> for an internal Deb package at my work, but didn't bother following it
> up because all you have to do is put 'pear install foo' in the postinst
> of anything that depends on it and you're done. No need for a Debian
> package at all.
'pear install foo' will install the pear extension but debian package
management will not know of the new files. I personaly don't like
to spill files over my debian distribution not being covered by any
package.

> In fact, a Debian package of any PEAR module could be as simple as a
> near-empty package with a 1-line postinst as above.
>
> If there are other reasons for packaging PEAR stuff natively I'd be very
> interested to hear it - I'd be happy to package phpdocumentor and other
> PEAR stuff after all if there's a good reason to do it.
Before you start, you should have a look at my dh-make-php package which
does most of the work to build source packages from pear/pecl
extensions. It's not yet released because I am waiting for a debian helper
dh-pecl being added to debhelper.

   Uwe

--
  MMK GmbH, Universitaetsstr. 11, 58097 Hagen
  Uwe.Steinmann@mmk-hagen.de