Re: hotplug logical devices?

I just installed hotplug 0.0.20040329-6 and I find that debconf
now asks the question "How to manage network interfaces with ifupdown?"
and gives three options:

The last one is the traditional "ifup eth0=hotplug" behavior.

The first one can be implemented using "=hotplug" and a mapping stanza
and so isn't required.

The second will cause hotplug to ifup all interfaces that are
marked "auto" in /etc/network/interfaces.  But those are precisely
the interfaces that one does _not_ want hotplug to ifup!  Interfaces
marked "auto" are ifup'ped at boot time by /etc/rcS.d/S40networking.
Someone is very confused here -- either the hotplug maintainer or me.
(Probably both.)
Thomas Hood