Re: TrueType font policy / best practices?

Le mar 06/04/2004 à 12:07, Pasi Kärkkäinen a écrit :
> The whole font subject is a big mess in Debian.
>
> There seems to be no policy about fonts, and nobody knows where to put them,
> or how to handle them.

The fonts should be put in /usr/share/fonts, and registered through
defoma. BTW, if they are registered through defoma, their location
doesn't matter for defoma and fontconfig, but FHS mandates a location.

> Some time ago people were told to add
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType to font path, but now that
> directory seems to be empty? No fonts in there, just empty
> fonts.dir/fonts.scale/fonts.alias files.

That shouldn't be. If you have some installed fonts, they should appear
here as symlinks if x-ttcidfont-conf is installed.

> The ttf fonts seem to be in /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ directory, but there
> are no fonts.dir/fonts.scale/fonts.alias files..

As it should be.

> What path should I add to my fontpath to X (for gtk1/motif/etc apps) ?

/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType

> (I'm using unstable)
>
> Defoma/Fontconfig/X guys please tell (or better, write down) how things should
> work!

You should start by reading fontconfig's README.Debian, which tries to
summarise this.

> 	1. In what directory all the (new) fonts should be/put in
> 	2. What fontpaths need to be set/modified for new dirs (X/fontconfig/etc)
> 	3. What's the purpose of defoma.. what does it do for the fonts
> 	4. what is x-ttcidfont-conf and how it relates to these other things

defoma is a font registry. If you register your fonts through defoma,
they are made available to both fontconfig and x-ttcidfont-conf (and
other font-using stuff). The purpose of the latter is to provide a
fontpath for legacy X applications that don't use fontconfig.