Re: The useless "sid" tag

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 08:42:07PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Adrian Bunk (bunk@fs.tum.de) [040404 18:55]:
> > Am I the only one under the impression that the "sid" tag is completely
> > useless?
>
> I disagree.
>
> > Unless the testing scripts start to add to all bugs in a packages
> > tagged "sid" also a tag "sarge" when a version of this package enters
> > testing I don't see much value in the "sid" tag.
>
> With RC-bugs entering sarge should normally not happen, so that this
> tag is actually useful (and I use it in a script).

The way testing works this statement is wrong.

The testing scripts estimate whether the version in unstable contain
more RC bugs than the version in testin, and if the version in unstable
contains less or the same number of RC bugs than the one in testing it
can enter testing.

If an upload to unstable fixes one RC bug but creates a different RC
bugs the testing scripts will accept this package [1]. If the new RC bug
is tagged "sid", this is exactly the situation you thought to should not
happen.

> Cheers,
> Andi

cu
Adrian

[1] assuming it has waited enough days and doesn't break depenencies

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed