Re: testing and no release schedule

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 06:06:53PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> Certain things have to happen for a release. One of them is a getting
> rid of RC bugs, and indeed, a maintainer you can't/won't do that for
> their own packages is failing their basic commitment. But even then, you
> have to choose between dropping those packages or hoping someone else
> will come along with an NMU.
>
> Another is getting the installer working. But if no one wants to work on
> it, or only a few, then there's nothing "management" can do to hurry it
> along. It takes as long as it takes, and the effort put into it is based
> on how many capable people volunteer to work on it. There's simply no
> structure in Debian that allows the DPL, or anyone, to say "Hey, Fred,
> go work on the installer, and don't do anything else until it's done."

No, but it could be incentivized.  Good managers know how to motivate people.

> > Nothing's wrong with them being happy with unstable.  I'm happy with
> > unstable.  But there is a difference between being happy with unstable and
> > publically stating that you do not care about releases.
>
> Why? Assume that Debian developer H is happy with unstable, and keeps
> her packages bug free and current. Why should she have to care about
> some other group of Debian developers who want to make releases?

He shouldn't, however he should be working with the mindset that he is
producing a product, not just packaging software.  Unstable is not a
product.  It's work in progress.

> > There's actually a word for a software product that never releases..  It's
> > called 'vaporware'.  I trust you've heard this term before?
>
> I'm running Debian on the machine I'm writing this on. It's hardly
> "vaporware".

I believe I've already stated that woody is still passable for some systems.
It's rapidly going out of date, though.  I do agree with Adrian's original
point that there are steps we can take, now, to speed up the release.

--Adam
--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>