Re: [RFC] User Accesable Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

The private install portion does.. the rest of it is sane. I'm still of the opinion that installing anything to ~/ is a bad idea: /home typically is not created with enough space to support application installs, for one; two, the average desktop user is not going to know enough to watch the available space, potentially creating a DoS for himself and everyone else on that machine when /home fills up (this is not quite as much of an issue for distributions which use flat partition structures). Administering a machine with software installed in ~/ would also be far more difficult and would require much larger changes to the package managers currently in use.. or it would require keeping multiple package databases.. which would be even uglier for administration.

Also, this sort of functionality should be an add-on package which can be removed, rather than a completely new install type.. so the cleanup must be simple in the event the box administrator decides to stop supporting this.

Just my thoughts so far

Zackary D. Deems
Ark Linux