Re: [custom] Generalizing building scripts of meta packages

    >> What is the package <cdd>-common supposed to contain exactly?
    >> Specific files and data for the CDD?
    Andreas> The (current and future) med-common has debconf templates
    Andreas> for administration of med - users, a simple script which
    Andreas> just showas some information which each other med -
    Andreas> package is symlinking to.  This enables auto-apt usage
    Andreas> like this:

    Andreas>    ~ auto-apt -x -y run $ med-bio ...

    Andreas> Med-bio and its dependencies will be installed
    Andreas> automagically which is kind of cool when demonstrating it
    Andreas> in workshops or at a exhibition booth, but not really
    Andreas> honest stuff.  So the main thing is the user
    Andreas> administration currently but I'm pretty sure that there
    Andreas> will be additional uses of a common package in the
    Andreas> future.

Nice. I think this  shows that the  possibility to have a <cdd>-common
package which is not auto-generated from the a  tasks/* file is a good
thing, and everybody is free to use it in the way he/she prefers.

On the  other  hand, speaking   about possible debconf  questions  and
automatic system  configuration, I like very  much the approach of the
debian-edu-config/debian-edu-install packages.    That  means having a
separate source package (after all this is not  a task package), which
holds a pre-canned  set of debconf values  to inject and which manages
everything else via cfengine.

My only    concern   is   that   I'd  move    the   debconf  part   of
debian-edu-install into debian-edu-config. This way everything related
with configuration  is  managed in a  single  source package which I'd
call  "<cdd>-config",  while I'd  call   the  source package  for  the
package "<cdd>-install".

    >> Yes, I think regenerating the control file at every build is a
    >> better choice.
    Andreas> OK.  In any case you are free to do it once by calling
    Andreas> cdd-gen-control outside of your debian/rules file.

Fine.

Cheers,

Free Ekanayaka