Re: testing and no release schedule

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 12:34:58AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Er... of course, I managed to bungle the attribution here, and therefore
> posed this question to Andrew instead of to Adam, the latter of whom
> does *not* appear to have participated in the debian-boot list of late.
>
> But the question still remains: if past calls for attention to the
> installer haven't attracted enough developer time to have gotten it
> close to releasable until now, what, exactly, would?  And if you can't
> answer this question, how would it ever have been possible to release
> sarge faster than we already are?

Well, this is just a shot in the dark here, but maybe if sarge was frozen,
RC bugs in base were low, and d-i was the last thing that everyone was
waiting for, it'd help motivate people to get involved with d-i.

But hell, we've got to wait for Gnome 2.6 now.  And mozilla 1.7 is coming out
soon too.  And XFree 4.3.4, of course, and don't forget glibc 2.3.3, and foo
and bar and baz and all of the other software that keeps trickling into
testing while there's no freeze, allowing RC bugs to pile up with no end in
sight..  But if d-i was only finished, we could release!  Damn it, why can't
we get more people to work on d-i??

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>