Re: testing and no release schedule

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 12:16:22AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > Enterprise editions may have - RH doesn't have Alpha / SPARC now -
> > > but it's generally a release or so behind.  Debian is also a
> > > volunteer organisation.

> > The fact that Debian is a volunteer organization has nothing to do with the
> > fact that we release slowly.  I wish people would stop using this red herring
> > argument.  We probably have more manpower than the development teams of the 3
> > largest Linux distributors put together.  The problem, as in most large,
> > ineffective organizations, is in management.

> Given that d-i has been the holdup for some time, and is only now
> finding its way into a truly usable and releasable state as of the
> latest beta, I wonder what sort of managing you would like to see beyond
> the repeated requests for volunteers to help with the installer?  I
> don't see that you've committed any code to the debian-installer SVN
> repo, and I don't see that you've filed any current installation reports
> regarding the installer (though I do see you're subscribed to the
> debian-boot list, and must have done at least one test install -- so
> thank you for that!).  What "management techniques" would entice you to
> do more to ensure our installer is releasable?

Er... of course, I managed to bungle the attribution here, and therefore
posed this question to Andrew instead of to Adam, the latter of whom
does *not* appear to have participated in the debian-boot list of late.

But the question still remains: if past calls for attention to the
installer haven't attracted enough developer time to have gotten it
close to releasable until now, what, exactly, would?  And if you can't
answer this question, how would it ever have been possible to release
sarge faster than we already are?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer