Re: testing and no release schedule

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 12:16:22AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Which platforms are you singling out as the dead ones?  Using what
> criteria?  Other than a lack of a viable installer for a few of the
> ports at present, there are no ports I see which stand out as being
> particularly less useful or releasable than the others, and certainly
> not any that are consistently so over time.
>
> The issue is not the quality of the ports, it's the *number* of them.
> Coordinating 6 or 11 ports takes more effort than coordinating 2 of
> them, regardless of which architectures they are.  People are happy
> to argue for dropping "doorstop architectures" or "dead platforms" to
> get us to a release, but there's no real evidence that any of the
> existing ports meet objective criteria that would justify excluding
> them from the release.

That's great.  As I've been saying, this all supports my original point
that "too many architectures" is not a valid excuse for release delay.

> for being "dead" is brain death; so maybe we should evaluate dropping
> the i386 port, too, on the grounds that it's a brain-dead processor
> design?

Zing!

> Given that d-i has been the holdup for some time

Adrian's original post doesn't seem to indicate that.  Is he lying?

> finding its way into a truly usable and releasable state as of the
> latest beta, I wonder what sort of managing you would like to see beyond
> the repeated requests for volunteers to help with the installer?  I
> don't see that you've committed any code to the debian-installer SVN
> repo, and I don't see that you've filed any current installation reports
> regarding the installer (though I do see you're subscribed to the
> debian-boot list, and must have done at least one test install -- so
> thank you for that!).  What "management techniques" would entice you to
> do more to ensure our installer is releasable?

The 'management techniques' I'm talking about have nothing to do with the
installer.  They have to do with people exercising what little authority
they've been given and making decisions without needing a 300-post flamewar
around each one.

--Adam
--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>