Re: testing and no release schedule

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Looking at the past, it might perhaps have been worth to check at the
> time of the release of Debian 3.0 whether the new installer would be
> ready in time for Debian 3.1, or whether this would have better been a
> Debian 3.2 project with parallel work to get the woody installer working
> in Debian 3.1. But that's a past experience that might be a worthwhile
> experience for the future.

We tried that during the woody release, and it failed miserably; nearly
a year of development time on d-i was lost while a few people got the
boot floppies working again for one last hurrah. It was impossible to
make projections of how much time it would take to get d-i ready when
noone was working on it, noone was testing it, and the issues were
unknown.

The only way to get the installer ready is to make it a priority, and to
work on it.

--
see shy jo