Re: testing and no release schedule

On 26-Mar-04, 14:07 (CST), Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:

> Halloween 2002 was announced as the date for the feature freeze for
> kernel 2.6 months before, and after this date most effort was spent in
> stabilizing the kernel.
>
> Looking at kernel 2.6 my impresion is that this was a good way.

The kernel has someone with the power to say "Yes, this change goes
in", and "No, this change must wait". No one in Debian has that power.
Anytime someone tries to take such a position, there's a lot of whining
about cabals and dictators and abuse of power.

And you'll note it took a >year between the announced freeze and the
actual release of 2.6.

Big projects with lots of interacting parts are simply difficult to
stabilize and release. Debian is a combination of several such projects,
is it any wonder we have problems?

Steve

--
Steve Greenland