Re: testing and no release schedule

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 02:40:43PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 26-Mar-04, 14:07 (CST), Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> wrote:
> >
> > Halloween 2002 was announced as the date for the feature freeze for
> > kernel 2.6 months before, and after this date most effort was spent in
> > stabilizing the kernel.
> >
> > Looking at kernel 2.6 my impresion is that this was a good way.
>
> The kernel has someone with the power to say "Yes, this change goes
> in", and "No, this change must wait". No one in Debian has that power.
> Anytime someone tries to take such a position, there's a lot of whining
> about cabals and dictators and abuse of power.

"The freeze begins at ..." is a power the Debian RM has.

The Debian RM even has the power to remove any package he wants from
testing without notifying anyone. With freezeing testing, this is the
power to remove any package he wants from the next stable release.

I wouldn't say that these powers the Debian RM has today aren't enough.

> And you'll note it took a >year between the announced freeze and the
> actual release of 2.6.

Sure.

I was talking about quality, not about speed.

Looking at the last freezes, half a year might be a realistic estimate
for the time between the beginning of the freeze and a stable release of
the quality Debian is known for.

> Steve

cu
Adrian