Re: testing and no release schedule

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 09:31:35AM -0800, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 02:31:20PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > How about we just stop making excuses?  If dead architectures are holding up
> > > the release process, then drop them, or make them secondary platforms.  m68k
> > > wouldn't be any worse off today if we had released an i386 sarge six months
> > > ago.
> >
> > Which of the architectures Debian 3.0 released with do you consider to
> > be dead?
>
> A lot of them.  However, that's not the point.  The point was to stop making
> excuses.  If niche (politically correct term for dead) architectures are
> holding up the release, then let's release without them.

If I understand you correctly, every architecture except i386 is a
"dead" architecture since most likely > 95% of all Debian users use
Debian in i386.

> > A real problem are RC issues in essential packages like e.g. glibc.
> >
> > Let's check for which architectures there are architecture-specific RC
> > bugs open against glibc today [1]:
> > - i386
> > - alpha
> > - sparc
>
> > And there are also benefits of supporting many architectures, an
> > example:
> >
> > hppa in Debian 3.0 uses gcc 3.0. Therefore, the hppa maintainers had to
> > report all compile errors with with g++ 3 as non-RC bugs.
> >
> > Some bugs were not fixed before Debian 3.0 was released, and this was
> > only a hppa problem. But the big amount of reported and mostly fixed
> > issued with g++ 3 made the g++ 3.2 transition for all architectures much
> > easier.
>
> I think we are in agreement that this is a management problem, and not
> necessarily a manpower problem.  I also don't know if it's a solvable
> problem, since solving it will require a change in Debian's culture at the
> highest levels.

I see that it causes additional work to support many architectures, but
I can't see that there would be specific architectures to blame.

> --Adam

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.