Re: testing and no release schedule

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 11:46:46PM -0800, Adam McKenna wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 04:10:29PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> >
> > Debian releases on what is it, 11 archs?  Most of them are never tested
> > by upstream authors, so if there's a problem, guess where it's going to
> > show up?
>
> How about we just stop making excuses?  If dead architectures are holding up
> the release process, then drop them, or make them secondary platforms.  m68k
> wouldn't be any worse off today if we had released an i386 sarge six months
> ago.

Which of the architectures Debian 3.0 released with do you consider to
be dead?

Several problems show up then and when and they are distributed between
all architectures, but there's not one architecture that is guilty for
holding things seriously up.

E.g. m68k seems to be overally in a good shape. It might be annoying
that the autobuilders often have problems to keep up with the big stream
of packages in unstable, but that's nothing that would seriously hold
up a release (and as soon as a freeze happens such problems will
immediately disappear since during a freeze the number of changed
packages significantely decreases).

A real problem are RC issues in essential packages like e.g. glibc.

Let's check for which architectures there are architecture-specific RC
bugs open against glibc today [1]:
- i386
- alpha
- sparc

And there are also benefits of supporting many architectures, an
example:

hppa in Debian 3.0 uses gcc 3.0. Therefore, the hppa maintainers had to
report all compile errors with with g++ 3 as non-RC bugs.

Some bugs were not fixed before Debian 3.0 was released, and this was
only a hppa problem. But the big amount of reported and mostly fixed
issued with g++ 3 made the g++ 3.2 transition for all architectures much
easier.

> --Adam

cu
Adrian

[1] I don't claim this is representative, but it shows that problems
    not only exist on the architectures you might have thought of.

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed