Re: testing and no release schedule

Adam McKenna <adam@flounder.net> writes:

> Perhaps Debian needs to change its product offering.  We could have a
> server distribution (with a long release cycle) and a desktop
> distribution (with a short release cycle).  Yes, just like every other
> major Linux vendor.  No, this is not rocket science and I'm 100% sure
> I'm not the first one with this idea.  So why aren't we doing it?

Because Debian and short release cycle are currently incompatible.  Debian
isn't just like every other major Linux vendor; Debian supports an order
of magnitude more packages.  I believe you have to fundamentally change
the concept of what goes into a release to increase the speed of the
release cycle notably, and even then I think it's going to be hard to do a
release much faster than Debian currently is while still maintaining the
same level of quality.  It's exactly the desktop software that often has
very long dependency chains that are difficult to get into a releasable
state at the same time.