Re: [OT] 'real'-names vs. nicks (was Re: Proposal: /etc/friendlynames)

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 03:40:42PM +0100, cobaco wrote:
> On 2004-03-26 15:17, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > My default is to ignore people without a real name.
>
> Name (according to gcide)
>    1. The title by which any person or thing is known or
>       designated; a distinctive specific appellation, whether of
>       an individual or a class.
>       [1913 Webster]
>
> Personally I prefer to use my screenname and not my 'real' name when online,
> in my experience it is _more_ distinctive (I remember searching on the
> icq-site for my icq-number back some years back, there where 6 other
> Belgians named 'Bart Cornelis', I have yet to run into another 'cobaco')

To be honest, I feel a strong urge to associate 'cobaco' with 'some
luser who can be safely ignored', while 'Bart Cornelis' definetely rings
a bell and respect. And looking at my GPG-key now, I realize we've met
in real life.

I don't want to diss you or your screen-name here, I'm not even
subscribed to -devel right now, so I can't really tell your level of
expertise. But the long track record of people having only alias names
being incompetent is somehow hardwired in my brain by now.

I think mako handles that screen-name/real-name stuff about right, he
keeps a link to his real name but is known as mako pretty much
everywhere.

Anyway, that's just my personal opinion, others will probably be able to
better keep you apart from the rest.

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer