Re: Binary-only firmware covered by the GPL?

    AB> I was not asking whether it's OK to ship this file in the
    AB> kernel sources, I was asking whether the contents of the file
    AB> is really under the GPL as stated in the header of this file
    AB> if it contains this binary code.

Well, is there another preferred format for the firmware? I don't know
what chip it's for, but are you sure there's some other source besides
the machine code? Maybe there just isn't any.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any obligation* on the part of the
licensor to provide source in any particularly readable or
maintainable format. Creators of Modified Versions might be under some
such obligation, but I'm not sure the original author is.

~ESP

* Legal, not moral.

--
Evan Prodromou