Re: Binary-only firmware covered by the GPL?

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 05:31:53PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Well IANAL, but it seems not so cut-n-dried, at least.
>
> Firmware is a program that executes on another processor, so no linking
> is taking place at all.  It is analagous to shipping a binary-only
> program in your initrd, IMO.

My point in this mail was a bit "besides the main firmware discussion":

I was not asking whether it's OK to ship this file in the kernel
sources, I was asking whether the contents of the file is really under
the GPL as stated in the header of this file if it contains this binary
code.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.