Re: RFC: kernel packages cleanup

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 09:35:36PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > Is there any architecture that _really_ requires kernel 2.2 today?
>
> I believe so.  Do we want to try to continue to support these ancient
> kernels with security updates in the coming years?  I certainly don't.
>
> > 3. reduce the number of 2.4 kernel versions
> >
> > In unstable, there are currently kernel sources for six different 2.4
> > kernels (2.4.{19,20,21,22,24,25}). I'd like to see the number of such
> > packages reduced.
>
> This is definitely necessary; I thought it made more sense to wait for the
> freeze to remove things like this.

It's better to remove them now and "sortof force" some architectures to
switch to a more recent kernel so that less different versions will be
used.

> It would be even better if the kernel maintainers would cooperate (wasn't a
> mailing list proposed for this?) to determine when versions can be removed,
> and so continually prune them.

A mailing list was requested, but there wasn't much need demonstrated,
hence not yet created.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.