Re: hotplug and ifup

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 14:49, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:
> At Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:06:44 +0100,
> Thomas Hood wrote:
> > At Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:37:45, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:
> > > ... the latest version of hotplug ... finds pci devices at
> > > boot time, so if you configure to use "mapping hotplug" in
> > > /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/rcS.d/S39hotplug will load
> > > kernel drivers and will bring network interfaces up with
> > > "ifup ethN=hotplug".
> >
> > Too bad networking is only initialized at S40!
> >
> > This bug didn't exist when hotplug used the /etc/nohotplug
> > mechanism to delay the processing of hotplug events at boot.
> > Now that that mechanism has been eliminated, the bug would
> > seem to be back.  Or is the race rectified in some other way?

Answering my own question ...  What has been done is that the
hotplug link has been moved from S36 to S40 (not S39).  The
question now is: Is that enough?

> what bug?

I meant: the bug of running ifup at S39hotplug before S39ifupdown
cleans out the ifstate file and before S40networking initializes
networking.  But now I have installed the latest hotplug and I
find that the hotplug script is linked to S40hotplug (not S39).
That means it runs after S39ifupdown, which is vital.  It runs
before S40networking; however, after reading /etc/init.d/networking
I am forced to admit that I don't see anything there that I know
can't be preceded by an ifup.   AJT: Please check this.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk>