Re: hotplug and ifup

At Sat, 20 Mar 2004 01:05:51 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> In an ideal world (and perhaps mostly in a future reality), most
> network devices will be automatically detected and have their
> driver loaded by hotplug, as the normal mode of operation.  It
> would be nice if ifupdown integrated well with such a setup.

It does.

I am glad that by default ifup doesn't bring up hot plugged interfaces;
I prefer to have hotplug start ifplugd and have ifplugd run ifup.

To be consistent with hotplug, ifplugd should also ifup interfaces with
a liface name such as 'ifplugd'.  Then the ifup from ifplugd would also
be disabled by default.  That is wish #202378.

At Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:37:45, Fumitoshi UKAI wrote:
> ... the latest version of hotplug ... finds pci devices at
> boot time, so if you configure to use "mapping hotplug" in
> /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/rcS.d/S39hotplug will load
> kernel drivers and will bring network interfaces up with
> "ifup ethN=hotplug".

Too bad networking is only initialized at S40!

This bug didn't exist when hotplug used the /etc/nohotplug
mechanism to delay the processing of hotplug events at boot.
Now that that mechanism has been eliminated, the bug would
seem to be back.  Or is the race rectified in some other way?

> ... [Y]ou don't need "auto" mark in /etc/network/interfaces to
> up the network interface at boot time.

True.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk>