Re: Weird - /proc is not mounted on boot

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 08:40:32PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> > I don't know, what has caused this - my best guess is the recent
> > update of sysvutils, which include some kind of splitting init-files
> > (mountvirtfs).  The system used to work a couple of days ago.
>
> Um, mountvirtfs is supposed to mount /proc.  And /dev/pts.  (And /sys.)
> That's what it does, and it gets executed *very* early.

Well, after booting up, /proc stays unmounted (even if /etc/mtab says it's
mounted - it's also weird!), /dev/pts too, while /sys gets actually
mounted, but I don't know, if that one is virtual fs on ram-disk, like
/dev, so it's possible, that it might be empty as well - in my
configuration, it isn't.

> Maybe it didn't get installed properly?  Make sure there's a link
> etc/rcS.d/S02mountvirtfs (if you're using sysv-rc -- if you're using
> filerc I've no idea).  If not, do this as root:

The link is at place. Is there any possibility to debug this, like setting
set -x and piping the output to somewhere? I don't know how this can be
made at the early stage of the boot process.

> Did you accidentally upgrade sysvinit and/or sysv-rc without upgrading
> initscripts?  (That would probably account for the breakage as well.)

They are all the latest versions from sid.

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org