Weird - /proc is not mounted on boot

Hello!

Sorry, if this doesn't suit into -devel, but I thought, this is too weird
for -user.

My current problem with my system (daily-sid, kernel 2.6.4, nvidia,
hotplug, udev on /dev): during the boot process, the /proc filesystem
doesn't get mounted. Thus, many of the init-scripts fail, telling (by
means of start-stop-daemon) "nothing in /proc - not mounted?". /dev/pts is
also not mounted, therefore, ppp doesn't work. I guess, it's the main
reason, why I'm having other troubles now: hotplug doesn't get started
(telling me, hotplug hasn't been built into the kernel), while working
fine if started manually, xawtv causes locks-up (everything but the mouse
and overlaying tv stops working) after a couple of seconds, tvtime does
this immediately.

I don't know, what has caused this - my best guess is the recent update of
sysvutils, which include some kind of splitting init-files (mountvirtfs).
The system used to work a couple of days ago.

Any guesses for a direction to search/file bugs?

Thank you.

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org