Re: Policy on Account creation and deletion?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:21:54 +0100, Matthias Urlichs
<smurf@smurf.noris.de> wrote:
>Hi, Marc Haber wrote:
>> bind9 touches a file in /var/run and tries
>> to chown the file to the account name before creating the account (with a
>> comment basically saying that there is no other way to detect account
>> existence).
>>
>Sure there is.
># id smurf
>uid=501(smurf) gid=501(smurf) groups=501(smurf),40(src),100(users),200(urlichs),230(sbuild)
># id fhzruiqhfiuqw
>id: fhzruiqhfiuqw: No such user
># echo $?
>1
>
>Q.E.D.

So who is going to file the bug against bind9?

>>    * use this account verbatim?
>>      This might be undesireable as the account might be in use for
>>      something else.
>
>Idea: check the account's home directory; ask if it's "wrong".

What should I ask then?

>> dpkg documentation says that the only difference between
>> remove and purge is that remove doesn't delete conffiles while purge does.
>
>Deleting an /etc/passwd entry would fall under that restriction, I'd say.

What restriction do you mean?

>> For the record: exim4 does remove its user in postrm on purge, bind9
>> leaves the user on the system.
>>
>IMHO both are valid.

Can you elaborate please? Under which circumstances is exim4 right,
and under which other circumstances is bind9 right?

Greetings
Marc