Re: how do you manage your external source?

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:05:32AM -0600, Adam Heath wrote:

> My question that I pose to this list, is what best practices are
> there, for doing this kind of source/feature/changeset management?  In
> detail, I have a source repository under revision control, that has
> several changes to several files(some changes to the same files), but
> would like to have those changes in discreet chunks.  However, I still
> want to have the full upstream source in a single revision control
> system.

Subversion works well for what you describe.  I use it to maintain all
my Debian packages and various other items (home directories, web sites,
etc).  The process of tracking upstream (external) changes while at the
same time tracking your own changes is detailed in their documentation:

   http://svnbook.red-bean.com/book/book.html#svn-ch-7-sect-4

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar