Re: package dependencies

"Moe Aboulkheir" <htgk@mail.com> schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> i am looking to create a .deb package of my program, however it has a
> dependency that isn't included in debian.  do i declare this
> dependency in the .deb file even though its seemingly meaningless
> because it cant be installed (b/c its not there) and/or can i have the
> package i depend on also included in the debian distro if my
> submission is accepted?  (if so how?)

That depends on what this dependency is. If it is free in terms of the
DFSG, you should package it separately and also try to include it into
Debian (have a look at
http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html for details of
how to get your package in if you're not a Debian developer).

If it isn't free, but can go to our non-free repository according to
current rules, you can try to include it there (note that there's a
voting going on currently whether non-free should be dropped; but
hopefully there will be some kind of apt-get'able repository in any
case). Your own program would then go to contrib.

If the dependency cannot be distributed as a Debian package at all,
well, bad. I don't know, but the best thing I'd think is that you should
find a free replacement.

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie