Re: spam closes Debian bugs!

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 07:13:38PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > > It is possible to check the origin of a request without restricting
> > > requests to DD. Why not?
> But in how far is restricting the ability to close a bug to DDs a
> restriction to the current usage.  Bugs will (normally) be closed by
> uploading fixed packages.  This can only be done by DDs.  Moreover
> a bug van be closed by the submitter - because he recognized that
> it was no real bug.  Tell me a reasonable (not only theoretical) case
> where it is important that anybody else closes a bug.

Package A has a bug that's caused by a bug in library B.  Library B gets
a new upload before the bug is reassigned.  A user of package A could
notice that and close the bug leveraging the work of the busy or
vacationed maintainer of A (although retitling as a request of versioned
depend would be better).  In general, users can be the best to discover
that a bug is not so anymore.

People doing random scans of the BTS archive could do investigation and
discover that an old bug, maybe dealing with changing environmental
issues, is not valid anymore, and thus close them.

Has someone proposed a challenge message to confirm the closing of a
bug, like it happens already with subscribing to mailing lists?

Ciao,

Enrico