RE: spam closes Debian bugs!

Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Julian Mehnle (lists@mehnle.net) [040313 13:10]:
> > Only DDs, the maintainer, and the reporter -- if his initial report
> > was signed.
>
> Come on. You're trying to fix a problem we don't really have. Please:
> If it is not broken, than don't fix it.

I'm just not one of these conservatives who fix real problems not until massive damage has already been caused.  I'm clearly seeing a big potential problem here, and I'm suggesting a solution *before* significant damage has been caused.

> And: There are some non-DDs who do just great QA-work. You don't want
> to exclude them? And: Why should a non-DD not be allowed to start
> helping out at any package before he is added to the uploaders field?

We need to weight the advantage of less bureaucracy against the disadvantage of less security.  I deem it an acceptable compromise to restrict the *control* of bug reports to people we are sure we can trust.  And yes, as I am no DD, my suggestion would exclude *me* from *controlling* any bugs I didn't report or bugs for packages I don't maintain.  And I have no problem with that.

> helping to sort out bug reports is something that's quite often
> _really_ helpful to the maintainer.

So what's the problem with becoming a co-maintainer?