Re: debconf, controlling terminal, and calling dialog "manually" from postinst

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> schrieb:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 09:59:18AM +0100, Frank K?ster wrote:
>
>> Of course you're right (and we're going to fix it exactly this way). But
>> still I'd like to know what "all sorts of trouble" exactly is...
>
> debconf uses stdin for communication between the frontend and the maintainer
> script, so if a program attempts to read from stdin, it will be talking to
> debconf and not the user (which will block forever).

Hm, yes. I had the impression that it's more complicated (like debconf
sometimes releasing stdin...). But in fact it seems the inconsistent
behavior only resulted from different versions of dialog doing different
things with stdin.

Hm, so why isn't that just stated clearly in the debconf documentation?
There it really sounds as if different things can happen under certain
circumstances.

Regards, Frank

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie