Re: First Call for votes: General resolution for the handling of the non-free section

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 09:19:40AM +0200, Mikko Moilanen wrote:
>    Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 01:28:46 -0500
>    From: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
>
>    Well, for some values of "actually free", anyway.
>
> Is it too much if somebody says "Please let others know that I did
> wrote this manual?

Certainly not, this is what we have copyright notices for.

> Also, please don't let them change my personal
> opinions about X, Y and Z."? Yes, it is too much and that's why we
> need GNU FDL.

It's far too much.  If you want people to read your political statements,
publish them.  Don't force them on unwilling recipients.  The right to free
speech is not the right to force your views on an unwilling listener.

Oh shit, I think I've just restarted the GFDL flamewar.  May ${DEITY} have
mercy on me...

[GFDL]

> Declare it as nonfree and I will quit immediatly using Debian, and I
> will remove Debian from my relatives and friends too. If A -> B.

Too late.  The mavens have spoken; we're keeping GFDL docs in main for Sarge
(as I understand it) for much the same reason as non-free was created --
expediency, and because at this moment in time there aren't enough free
alternatives.  And, as with non-free, sooner or later the non-free material
will be rewritten under free licences, and GFDL documentation will be
removed.

- Matt