Re: Screw non-free.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 01:40:09AM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 06:26:41PM -0600, Ean Schuessler wrote:
>
> > The Social Contract  starts "Debian will remain 100% Free Software".
>
> This sections also says
>
>   We will support our users who develop and run non-free
>   software on Debian, but we will never make the system depend on an
>   item of non-free software.
>
> _You_ have personally agreed that _you_ will support the Debian users
> who run non-free software on Debian by becoming a Debian developer.

Supporting our users who want to run non-free software doesn't mean that
we have to provide the non-free software for them.  It just means that
we provide the capability for them to run the non-free software.  Nobody
is seeking to change that.

There are many pieces of non-free software that we do not distribute
(ie, Oracle) which people nevertheless run because we support running
non-free software on our operating system, even if we do not distribute
or support the non-free software itself.

-- John