Re: Gettext debconf templates translations : several outdated packages discovered

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> It strikes me that a tool that reads a list of package names and
> produces a nicely formatted list of packages and maintainers would
> occasionally be useful. That information should be greppable from
> Packages files, shouldn't it? Perhaps the tool exists already?

Nicely formatted it isn't, but grep-dctrl (or grep available) can
trivially do this.

Alternatively the following:

echo 'yeold newline deliniated list-o-packages' |xargs -n 1 -i\
 grep-available -FPackage -X -sMaintainer,Package '{}' |\
perl -ne 'chomp;
     $maintainer = $1 and next if /^Maintainer\:\ (.+)/;
     $package = $1 and next if /^Package\:\ (.+)/;
     print qq($package -- $maintainer\n) if /^$/'

Yields:

courier -- Stefan Hornburg (Racke) <racke@linuxia.de>
htdig -- Stijn de Bekker <stijn@debian.org>
libpaper -- Stephen Zander <gibreel@debian.org>
mtop -- Igor Genibel <igenibel@debian.org>
mueller -- Yven Johannes Leist <leist@beldesign.de>
nagios -- Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org>
openafs -- Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org>
openldap2 -- Torsten Landschoff <torsten@debian.org>
pcmcia-cs -- Brian Mays <brian@debian.org>
penggy -- Sebastian Schmidt <yath@yath.eu.org>
phalanx -- Milan Zamazal <pdm@debian.org>
phpwiki -- Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org>
pptpd -- Rene Mayrhofer <rmayr@debian.org>
spong -- Pekka Aleksi Knuutila <pa@debian.org>
squid -- Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl>
wflogs -- Jean-Michel Kelbert <kelbert@debian.org>
whereami -- Andrew McMillan <debian@mcmillan.net.nz>
wwwoffle -- Paul Slootman <paul@debian.org>
xcdroast -- Hector Garcia <hector@debian.org>
yiff -- Adam Majer <adamm@galacticasoftware.com>
atokx -- Taku YASUI <tach@debian.or.jp>

Don Armstrong

--
"Ban cryptography! Yes. Let's also ban pencils, pens and paper, since
criminals can use them to draw plans of the joint they are casing or

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu