Re: broken package dependencies, surgery on package database

Certainly. kernel-package create .debs not only of the
kernel, but also of kernel modules. I was using alsa
for sound and i2c and lm-sensors for hardware
monitoring. I used a "clean" (from kernel.org) kernel,
but I used the debian source packages for alsa, i2c
and lm-sensors.

The dependencies are as follows:

o  alsa depends on the kernel
o  lm-sensors depends on i2c and the kernel
o  i2c depends on the kernel

When I purged the packages, I selected all of them --
the kernel, alsa, i2c and lm-sensors -- for removal.
However, dselect only removed the kernel and alsa. The
 packaging system is now irretrievably stuck on the
broken i2c and lm-sensors packages.

Richard